Many many moons ago, in the time of the Bernal ancestors, a festive tribe of elves and druids lived in the lands we now call Bernal Heights. Each year, in anticipation of the winter solstice, these proto-Bernalese would gather on the pathway we now call Cortland Avenue to celebrate the arrival of the rains and the season of lights.
Today, tens of thousands of years later, the Bernal Business Association continues this ancient tradition, in the beloved form of the Cortland Holiday Stroll. The 2015 Stroll happens this Thursday, December 10, from 6 to 9 pm, and here are all the tasty details:
The Bernal Business Alliance and merchants will usher in the sixth annual Holiday Stroll all along Cortland Avenue in San Francisco’s Bernal Heights neighborhood. Businesses will stay open later than usual, from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, December 10, 2015. Each participant will have one-night specials for unique holiday gifts, and sometimes, giveaways or musical guests for the evening. Admission is free.
As in prior strolls, the Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center will be accepting cash donations and new, unwrapped toys suitable for ages 0-10 years old for their annual holiday Toy Drive at their office on 515 Cortland Avenue. Many of the Holiday Stroll participants will also have silver buckets at the registers for monetary donations. (Checks should be made payable to “Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center.” )Toys and donations will be accepted at the Center until December 15.
To date, about 30 brick-and-mortar and home-based businesses will be participating, including:
- Heartfelt, who will have grog, cookies made by owner Darcy Lee, music by one man band Brian Belknap and hidden gift certificates around the store
- The Epicurean Trader, customers will receive free gift wrapping with purchase; instore wine tasting and instore discounts
- Just in time for the season, Bernal Homeopathy will have for sale readytogo homeopathic remedy kits for trauma recovery plus cold & flu, for sale
- Inclusions Gallery, celebrating its eighth year, will have live music and light refreshments to commemorate their anniversary
- The Good Life Grocery will serve hot apple cider and other treats
- Restaurants Vinorosso, Vega and Bernal Star will offer mulled wine
- Anda’s Piroshki, of the 331 Marketplace on Cortland, will sample their Adjarian cheese bread
- Bernal Library will be giving away free books on the deck facing Cortland
- Lama’s Ken Po students will demonstrate karate and will off $30 off a twomonth introductory special
- Kingmond Young Photography will have snacks, drinks and a guest artist
- The Lucky Horseshoe will have complimentary snacks and drink specials
- Succulence will have snacks and drink as well
- Pinhole Coffee will have vendors selling Cork Maps, Jewelry, Knitwear, Greeting Cards. The coffee bar will be open for coffee, peppermint hot chocolates, and Red Blossom Teas.
Several other businesses will have one-night only discounts to kick off your holiday shopping, including:
- Bernal Beast
- Arts of Balance, 20% off seasonal packages
- The Cutting Edge Salon and Sandy Owens Massage and Healing will hold a raffle for a complimentary massage session or energy reading, as well as $15 off coupons for a future session or gift certificate for the holidays.
- Little Bee Baking
For more information about the event, visit bernalbusiness.org
PHOTOS: Top, Holiday Strolls of Years Past, by Telstar Logistics