The legend is handed down among Bernalese from generation to generation: Tens of thousands of years ago, in the time of the sages and ancients, a race of wizened elves gathered in the area we now call Cortland Avenue for a gala celebration of the summer season. There was celebration. There was food. There was plenty of drink and glad cheer. And it was good.
Today, the Bernal Business Alliance has revived this hallowed ritual for the modern age, and the 2016 Summer Stroll happens this Thursday, June 23, from 6 – 9 pm on historic Cortland Avenue.
Here are the deets:
The Bernal Business Alliance and merchants will celebrate the solstice at the sixth annual Summer Stroll all along Cortland Avenue in San Francisco’s Bernal Heights neighborhood.
Businesses will stay open later than usual, from 6 to 9 p.m.Thursday, June 23, 2016.Each participant will feature onenight specials, including giveaways, musical guests, treats and food & drink for the evening. Admission is free.
Here are some of the brickandmortar and homebased businesses who will be participating:
- Heartfelt will have Cajun music, cookies and a specially crafted drink! Heartfelt & will be open with a special “sale”!
- Little Bee Baking are hosting Good Eggs the “online farmers market” out front withinformation about their great service and local artist RaissaTrend will be showing newartwork inside the store.
- Pinhole Coffee have a far eastern theme for the evening, with Japanese Curry by Chef Michael Black, former Chef and owner of Sebo, and ceramics for sale by Mitsuko Siegrist of the Tsuchikara Pottery.
- Succulence are hosting an art opening for Cat Johnston whose amazing art will be hanging in the window for the month. They will also have music and wine and cookies.
- Healthy Spirits will host a small band playing Middle Eastern inspired music as well as
making some rare beers and whiskeys available from their cellar.
- Members from the Bernal Business Alliance will be in front of Heartfelt with membership information and helping our neighbors at the Mission Bernal Merchants Association collect donations for the victims of the recent Mission Street fire.
- Bernal Beast will have doggy treats and chocolate cake for any human companions!
- Red Hill Station will have Oysters, Oysters and yes, more Oysters!!!
- Lauren Becker of Recycled Glassworks will be showcasing her new work in slumped, recycled glass.
- Epicurean Trader will have Bernal local winemaker Bryan Harrington for a free Wine Tasting event.
- Inclusions Gallery will host an art opening with San Francisco painter Jeffery Roth. There will also be 15% off all handmade jewelry as well as music & refreshments.
Both the Bernal Branch Library and the Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center will also be joining us for the evening.
The Library Staff will be out front of the Library giving away books and small prizes and signing people up for the summer reading program. And across the street, the Neighborhood Center will have plenty of information about their current projects and you’ll be able to signup as a member on the spot.
And when you are done with the strolling you can stop by The Lucky Horseshoe for some smooth jazz with Larry Epstein from 811pm.
For more information about the Bernal Business Alliance, visit http://bernalbusiness.org.
PHOTO: Modern Bernalese elves strolling during the 2014 solstice, by Telstar Logistics