Clear your dance cards, save the date, and start getting your kiddies fired up, because the epic Fiesta on the Hill happens this Sunday, October 25, on fabulous Cortland Avenue here in Bernal Heights.
Fiesta is the once-a-year occasion when Bernal’s very own Main Street USA shuts down to traffic so pedestrians can roam with impunity in an urban playland for fun-loving locavores. It’s a Bernalese bounty of tasty food, artisanal offerings, bumping beats, and plenty of games and attractions to divert the surplus energies of overstimulated children. And it’s all to benefit the esteemed Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center.
Organizer Genevieve Roja shared this preview of Sunday’s attractions:
This the biggest fundraising event of the year for the Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center, which is both the host and beneficiary of Fiesta on the Hill, which is now in its 27th year.
This year we will be doing a drawing of some nifty gift certificates from brick-and-mortar-based and home-based Bernal businesses. We’ve got a pretty luxe knife set from Bernalian and local realtor Michael Minson; a $150 gift cert from ICHI; $50 value gift certs from Pinhole Coffee, Bernal Homeopathy, 12 Small Things and Cafe St. Jorge, and more.
There will be a lot of Bernal musicians playing on the Main Stage, and lots of them were born and raised in Bernal:
- 10:00-11:15 a.m.: Trio Pizzicato (Bernal based) Stage: Main
- 11:25-11:35 a.m.: BHNC Senior Chorus not confirmed yet .Stage: Main
- 11:50-12:30 p.m. // HEADLINER #1: 35 Years of Trouble // TBD (bluegrass, kids) Stage: Main
- 12:55-1:40 p.m. // HEADLINER #2: Soul Society (jazz funk, Bernal members) Stage: Main
- 2-3:30 p.m. // HEADLINER #3 // Adelante (salsa). Bernal based members. Stage: Main
Finally, we’ve also added a smaller stage in front of BHNC this year. That’s where you can see:
- The View from Bernal Hill
- Lunch Money
PHOTOS: Scenes from Fiestas past, by Telstar Logistics